Oh is this delish! I recreated this recipe from Emeril Lagasse’s recipe adding my special spicy yum touches to make it my own. Like Mac & Cheese, I like it very “cheesy” (taste that is) but classy enough to serve at dinner party. Serve it with Romaine Salad and Sweet Southern Cornbread … another cold weather YUM recipe.
Cheesy Andouille & Broccoli Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup yellow onions or sliced leeks (white parts only, well rinsed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and separated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar
- 4 oz cubed Velveeta Cheese
- 4 links Amylu Andouille Chicken Sausage (4 pre-cooked chopped)
- Creole seasoning sprinkle to taste
* * *
In a medium pot, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, Andouille, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme cook, stirring, until fragrant, for 20 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring until the mixture is well blended and smells fragrant, 2 minutes. Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring, until tender, for 10 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender. (Alternatively, in batches, puree in a blender or food processor and return to the pot.)
Add the cream and bring to bare simmer to heat through. Add the cheeses and cook over low heat, stirring, until melted. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons cold butter, stirring to blend.
Remove from the heat and ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle croutons over the top of the soup and serve immediately.