How much do I love creating big, yummy, delicious concoctions and seeing Jay feast on them and my guests go “WOW! That is amazing” when they bite into these decadent desserts. So without further adieu, here is the 2013 Valentine dessert I created especially for Jay. It is entitled “Chocolate Valentine Puddle of Love” because that is what it looks like. We love dark and white chocolate, orange crème, cheesecake, and with all incorporated into one dessert — Oh my yum, just heavenly!
This recipe creates two separate brownies:
“Yummylicious Melt-In-Your-Mouth Fudge Brownies”
“White Chocolate Orange Blondies” [below]
“Orange Cream Cheese Filling” [below]
“Chocolate Ganache” [below]
Prepare: “White Chocolate Orange Blondies”
White Chocolate Orange Blondies
1/2 pound, plus 1 teaspoon butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
2 teaspoons of orange zest.
3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups white chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place 1/2 pound of the butter and the brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until a smooth batter is formed. While the machine is running, add the eggs, vanilla and orange extracts, and orange zest, until incorporated into the batter.
Sift together 3 cups flour and baking powder. Slowly add the flour mixture to the batter and mix on low speed until a dough is formed. Very gently, by turning the mixer on and then off, fold the chips into the dough.
Once the dough is all blended, grease a 9 by 9-inch baking pan with the remaining butter and dust with the 1 tablespoon of flour. Pour the batter into the pan and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until set yet still moist.*
Prepare Orange Cream Cheese Filling:
Orange Cream Cheese Filling
1 8oz package cream cheese
1/4-1/2 cup powdered sugar to taste
1 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoons orange extract
2 teaspoons orange zest
Set aside until assembly.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
• 1 1/2 c. Heavy cream
• 2 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
• 18 ounce Dark or Semi-Sweet chocolate, minced into 1/2-oz pieces
Heat the heavy cream and the butter in a 3-qt saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Place the Semi-Sweet chocolate in a 3-qt stainless steel bowl. Pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Set aside until assembly.
1. Cut brownies into servicing-size pieces.
2. Layer first one Fudge Brownie on plate.
3. Top with Orange Cream Cheese Filling.
4. Layer one White Chocolate Orange Blondie on top of Cream Cheese Filing.
5. Top with Orange Cream Cheese Filing.
6. Layer second Fudge Brownie on top of Cream Cheese Filling.
7. Pour Chocolate Ganache over top to puddle on plate.
8. Garnish with dollop of whipped cream or fresh cut fruit.
9. Serve with dry Cabernet Sauvignon or coffee.
10. Jump into the puddle and enjoy!
* White Chocolate Orange Blondies recipe based in part on original recipe by Emeril Lagasse, 2002