Good Morning Foodies! I love this recipe and have created it for years! My twist? I use Krispy Kreme doughnuts and layer of chocolate ganache in-between layered sliced bananas, vanilla chocolate swirl ice cream on top with Honey Roasted nuts sprinkled over the top bananas and caramel. Go for it and then do a 5k run!*
Pictured is the original recipe from Bon Appetit:
Warm Doughnuts à la Mode with Bananas and Spiced Caramel Sauce
- 2 cinnamon crumb or glazed doughnuts
- 3 tablespoonsbutter
- 3 tablespoons(packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoonsfresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoonground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoonground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoondark rum
- 2 small ripe bananas, peeled, cut on diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Vanilla ice cream
- Toasted pecans
Preheat broiler. Place doughnuts on small baking sheet; set aside. Stir butter and brown sugar in heavy medium skillet over medium heat until butter is melted. Boil 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Mix in lemon juice and spices, then rum; stir to blend. Cool caramel sauce 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, broil doughnuts just until hot and bubbly, watching closely to avoid burning, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer doughnuts to 2 plates. Toss bananas with caramel sauce in skillet. Top doughnuts with scoop of ice cream, flattening slightly in center. Spoon bananas and caramel sauce over. Sprinkle with nuts and serve.
* These notes reflect my changes to the recipe and all revisions to it will be in the Beyond The Yum cookbook. There is also a lighter version.
Tagged: Bananas Foster, Bon Appetit, Brunch, Caramelized Banana Pudding, Chocolate, Desserts, Food, Food Photography, Jacy's Krispy Kreme Doughnuts à la Mode with Bananas, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, photography, Recipes