Spiced Pear Tiramisu
I have created Tiramisu in many versions but this is a first with pears. I was inspired by the White Chocolate Tiramisu Trifle recipe but wanted to simplify it for an “any day” dessert and save the elaborate recipe for special occasions.*
5 large firm but ripe Anjou or Bartlett pears. sliced
1/2 bottle of Pear or Apple Dessert Wine
1/2 cup fine sugar (or Splenda)
Dash Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger
3 large eggs
3/4 cup of sugar (or Splenda)
1 (8-0unce) container Mascarpone Cheese
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup very cold heavy cream
2 cups brewed espresso or very strong brewed coffee cooled to room temperature
2 tablespoons of Pear Wine
18 Savoiardi Italian ladyfingers
1/4 cup chocolate shavings from bittersweet or dark chocolate or 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (I use Droste)
Whipped Cream Topping:
2 cups of sweetened whipped cream whipped to stiff peaks.
[I always flavor my whipped cream with a drop of almond extract.)
1. Peel and slice pears into slices. (see photo)
2. Place slices in bowl, sprinkle with sugar, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger, carefully fold until blended. Pour wine over to soak.
4. Place pear mixture in large saucepan and cook over medium heat until pears are tender.
5. Set aside to cool and assembly.
1. Beat together yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Beat in mascarpone until just combined.
2. Beat whites and salt in another bowl with cleaned beaters until whites just hold soft peaks. Add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar a little at a time, beating, then continue to beat until whites just hold stiff peaks.
3. Beat cream in another bowl with cleaned beaters until it just holds soft peaks. Gently but thoroughly fold cream into mascarpone mixture, then fold in whites.
5. Stir together the espresso and Pear Wine in a shallow bowl. Dip 1 ladyfinger in espresso mixture, soaking it for about 4 seconds on each side, and transfer to an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Repeat with 8 more ladyfingers to fill bottom of dish. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers.
6. Add a layer of the sliced pears over the first layer of mascarpone and ladyfingers using one half of the pear recipe and juice.
7. Repeat with another tiramisu layer in same manner as 5. and 6. above.
8. Dollop or pipe whipped cream on top of final layer. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings or powder.
9. Refrigerate tiramisu covered for at least 6 hours before serving.
10. Grab a cup of your favorite coffee, espresso or glass of wine and enjoy with relish this delicious dessert!
Notes: If desired, you could add the white chocolate to this recipe too like the White Chocolate version as indicated below for special occasions. Additionally, you can use any fruit of choice as you like them whether fresh or cooked. Bananas Foster is delish, strawberries are wonderful, all fruits are great with this recipe and most definitely “beyond the yum“!
* Inspiration from the Bon Appétit White Chocolate Tiramisu Trifle with Spiced Pears